Welcome to our public consultation for Selwood Garden Community. We want to share our emerging plans for South Frome with you, understand what issues are important to the community, and get feedback on our proposals for the area.
Find out more details about how to submit your comments on the 'Have your Say' page.
You may recall our “initial vision” consultation in December 2019 undertaken on behalf of Land Value Alliances (LVA) and the Landowner consortium. The event was very well attended with around 120 people visiting the exhibition and others viewing the website. We received lots of comments on the emerging scheme.
We now have a much better understanding of local concerns and objectives for any scheme here. We understand for example, that many people are worried about the design and quality of any new development and how it will fit with, and reflect, the existing well-established character of Frome.
Likewise, many people agreed that a comprehensive approach to development was preferable to piecemeal development and were encouraged and supportive of the green spaces, ecological enhancements, pedestrian and cycle routes and highways infrastructure which the development would deliver.
Following initial public consultation, the design team submitted a pre-application enquiry to Mendip District Council (MDC) to seek the Local Planning Authority’s feedback on the emerging scheme and also to scope the requirements for an Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA). The EIA will accompany the planning application and ensure that effects associated with proposals are fully assessed and any impacts identified and mitigated.
Over the last few months, we have also engaged with the South West Design Review Panel (DRP), which is an independent multi-disciplinary panel, including architects, urban designers, highway specialists and landscape architects.
They have reviewed the emerging designs for the site over a three-stage process and have provided positive input into the scheme now presented. The DRP members were encouraged by the thought that had gone into the emerging development proposals and that it was moving towards becoming a ground-breaking scheme.
In addition to this, the design team has met with, or been in discussions with various key stakeholders, including:
• Somerset County Council, to discuss highways and infrastructure requirements;
• Frome Town Council;
• Selwood Parish Council;
• Public transport provider groups, including Frome Buses and the Great Western Railway; and
• The NHS Trust.
This is our second consultation for Selwood Garden Community. If you'd like to see the first one, please visit www.selwoodgardenvillage.com - we wanted to keep this available so that the public can see our progress.
The level of detail provided on these boards and on the accompanying website is more extensive than normal because we want to give the public as full a picture as possible, particularly due to the fact that we are unable to attend an exhibition due to COVID-19 restrictions.
Our team is available to answer your queries within 7 days of receipt, to do this please send us an email or get in touch via telephone using the contact details given on the 'Have Your Say' page.
Since the last consultation more detailed design work, including detailed technical assessments of the site have informed a more robust and deliverable set of proposals. This means that the emerging master plan has changed from those presented in 2019 in the following main ways:
• Further analysis of densities associated with differing character areas that are to be applied to the site has revealed that a minimum housing target for the site should be 1,700 dwellings (of which 30% will be affordable homes), which is increased from 1,500 previously anticipated;
• Central spine roads have been changed to make them more conducive to active travel and a central square arrangement provided to create a community hub that will not be dominated by car traffic;
• A more ambitious and forward thinking block structure that provides housing with areas of “doorstep play” and social space to the front of dwellings, with vehicles on the whole moved to the rear where electric charging would be more convenient;
• The viability of a solar farm is being explored to assist the development in becoming as close to zero carbon as possible. If viable this will form a separate application in due course; and
• Additional cycle/pedestrian infrastructure link to adjacent areas and Town Centre/Train Station have been allowed for.
Want to see the new masterplan for Selwood Garden Community now? Click below:
Whilst we hope most people will be able to access this information online, a printed version of the consultation can be viewed by appointment at Rook Lane Chapel, Bath Street, Frome, BA11 1DN for the duration of the consultation period.
To arrange an appointment, please telephone 01373 468 030 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright © 2020 Selwood Garden Community - All Rights Reserved.
This consultation ran from the 25th September - 18th October 2020. Thank you for all your comments in relation to this exciting project for Frome.